I teach a direct, intuitive approach to art-making rooted as much in spontaneity as in the history and traditions of western art. I believe that anyone sufficiently motivated to do so can acquire the skills to develop a strong creative practice that’s fun, full of feeling, and yours alone.
I'm proud to say that many of my current and former students continue to pursue the craft, and many have gone on to sell their work and establish their own studios.
--------- Scroll down to view classes & workshops. ---------
Private Mentoring Program
CURRENTLY FULL (SPOTS ARE LIMITED, BUT THEY DO OPEN UP – SEND ME AN EMAIL TO BE PUT ON THE WAITING LIST)
This is a five-week, customizable one-on-one program that can be undertaken in person, via Zoom, or as a hybrid combination of the two.
This class can be taken 100% online, in person, or a combination of the two.
The goal is to put you on a path that feels personal, authentic, and meaningful. It happens through dialogue, creative exercises, critiques, and customized “homework” assignments that support goals you set for yourself.
This works for beginners as well as working (and aspiring!) artists looking to shape their creative practice, to develop a personal style, create a distinctive and coherent body of work, and/or establish or grow a career in art.
Mentoring can cover multiple aspects of art-making, based on where you are now and where you’d like to be. Possible areas we can work on together include:
- focusing your creative energy, developing a body of meaningful work
- improving your current style or, alternately, discovering a whole new direction,
- understanding how past and current trends in art create important context for your work,
- bolstering strengths and identifying needed skillsets,
- uncovering opportunities and making important contacts in your field,
- the many aspects of establishing and growing a professional career.
This kind of support is what I always wished I’d had but never really found from any teacher. To be fair, most group classes and workshops cannot offer this deep a level of support. Workshops and classrooms comprise a diverse group of talents and experience, so teachers usually end up by necessity teaching some form of technique. Obviously, technique is important, but after a while one understands it’s only half the game. I’ll help you to charge ahead, ask new questions, and learn to judge your finished work by entirely new criteria, such as honesty, content, and relevant technique.
1. Program kickoff and scope-setting. You’ll receive a welcome email and a written questionnaire to help us set specific long and short-term goals. We’ll use this survey as the agenda for the first of five 1-hour Zoom calls that we’ll schedule at a good time for you.
2. Five 1-hour Zoom calls during which we’ll cover as much ground as we need in order to make real, tangible progress on the goals we identify at the outset.
3. Unlimited text chat for quick check-ins and questions as needed for the duration of the program.
4. Follow up email / Zoom call 4-6 weeks after the end of the program.
BOTTOM LINE: it’s five personally tailored one-on-one in-person or live video sessions plus support for $300.